Remains of church at Vossenack. After changing hands several times, the church was retaken on 7 November by Company A, 146th Engineers.
The Saint Josef church was rebuilt after the war. In front of it, to the right, is the turn-off to the Kall gorge.
Im Oberdorf Street at Vossenack on 15 November 1944.
Post war houses today.
Germeter lay in full view of the Germans on the Brandenberg-Bergstein ridge further east. To conceal movement along the highway towards Hürtgen, screening nets were hung up sometime in November, after the 8th Division had taken over from the 28th.
The much better surfaced B399 highway from Germeter to Hürtgen today. The Friedensmuseum and the town center of Vossenack is away to the right.
The men of Headquarters Company of the 121st Infantry installed themselves in a farmhouse along the main street of Hürtgen.
The "Hurtgen Hotel" was located on 89 Höhenstrasse.
The village that gave the battle its name Hürtgen was finally taken by the 121st Inf.Reg. and the 1st Battalion of the 13th Inf.Reg. of the 8th Div.
Hürtgen - Hohenstrasse today.
The ruined church building of the holy cross of Hürtgen was already rebuild in 1949.
The today's church of Hürtgen is called "Friedensgedächniskirche". (Peace Remembrance Church)
A jeep of the 22nd Infantry, the unit that captured Grosshau, passes the shell-wrecked village church on what is left of Frenkstrasse.
Whereas most of the other buildings at Grosshau were cleared away completely and rebuilt from the ground up, the Sankt Appolonia Church was very carefully restored to its original state.
47th Infantry at Schevenhütte.
No Shermans standing guard today. The main road leads, left, to Gressenich and Stolberg and, right, to Langerwehe.
November 16, 1944, Soldiers of the 8th IR/4th ID arriving from Vicht. (Lamersiefen / Joaswerk, south of Schevenhütte)
Lamersiefen - Joaswerk today.
Litter bearers carrying a wounded soldier.
The same spot today. (Lamersiefen / Joaswerk, south of Schevenhütte) (Photo courtesy of W. Whassmann)
M10's of the 803rd Tank Destroyer Battalion twisting and turning on the slopes south east of Schevenhütte.
The same spot today. (Note: This is not the Kall Trail!)
On February 9, 1945, the Germans blew-up the pressure pipe from the Urft reservoir at Heimbach Power Station.
The Hydroelectric Power Station in Heimbach, imposing building in the Art Nouveau style.
The war damaged building of the Heimbach railway station.
The building today serves as a kind of exhibition center.(Photo courtesy of W. Whassmann)
Building a bridge in Monschau. 2d ECAR, Detachment I4G2, commanded by Capt. Robert A. Goetcheus, second from the left.
Bridge across the Roer river in the romantic Old Town of Monschau.
Sgt. Joseph H. Kadlec approaches crossroads at Zweifall, Germany, loaded with his first batch of Xmas packages. 11/14/44
Jaegerhausstrasse, Zweifall, leading to the town center. The signpost is now a bit further down the road. (yellow square in the middle of the picture)